Welcome to my global village!

Sharing with the readers my experiences through my travel, interaction with different cultures and my involvement through community work! Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Mystery fruit, Chao Phraya river, tuktuk and pink taxis

Just returned from a trip to Bangkok with heaps of culture and people experience besides the work experience (which was the main reason for the trip). I made use of the opportunity to try as much Thai food I could - hot but delicious. I particularly liked this fruit (the two creamish white cubes with black seeds in the second photo) which I ate for the first time and do not think I got its name right and it will remain a mystery fruit...such a pity! And dessert...just yummy!

The highlight of the trip was 'boat ride' through Chao Phraya river to visit the Grand Palace. The young guide was excellent as he gave the commentary while the boat waded its way along the river. I was busy comparing the structures along the river and could not help thinking of the disparity that exists in nearly all the developing countries. On one hand you have these grand structures and on the other hand these "less than basic" or rather "falling apart" skeleton structures!



We had very interesting experience twice during the taxi ride when the taxi driver struck a deal with us to "visit the gem store" so that he could get free petrol for the taxi/ tuktuk - although I cannot complain because I did manage to buy some nice Thai silk that I had planned ever since my trip was scheduled! Talking of taxi/ tuktuk, tuktuk was my favourite transportation mode and I fell for the "Pink" taxi, I must admit I had never seen a "pink taxi" before!!


No comments: